If you would like to order Thai food online or looking out for some options to cook at home, you may consider having a look into fulfilling dishes listed below;
- Pumpkin soup: Pumpkin is a commonly used ingredient for vegetarian soups. The second ingredient could be coconut milk. For a pumpkin soup, some other vegetables can also be used in order to enrich the taste.
- Fried rice: Is known as a single dish, not a shared one. It is easy to make and fulfilling at the same time. Thai fried rice is prepared with jasmine type of rice, instead of regular ones. The regular fried rice contains meat products like chicken, shrimp or crab. But if you remove these items, it becomes a vegetarian! Eggs, onions, garlic and rarely tomatoes are added to the rice and they all stir-fried together. Cucumber and tomato slices, lime, green onions, and coriander are also served as a side dish.
This dish has also variations such as coconut fried rice, pineapple fried rice, and basil fried rice.
- Spring rolls: Spring rolls are also preferred by non-vegetarians because they are delicious! These tasty rolls take some time for preparation but very easy to cook. It can be either fresh or deep-fried. Sometimes sweet chilli or cashew sauce is served for dipping to enrich the flavour. Ingredients for spring rolls are usually garlic, onions, galangal, cabbage, mushrooms, tofu, and bean sprouts. The process starts with stir-frying the vegetables one by one, continues with making the rolls, and then deep frying. This dish should be served hot but also consumed at room temperature at homes.
- Grilled eggplant: Having eggplants by only grilling might sound tasteless and unpleasant but with adding some sauces and ingredients, it can be satisfying. For example, hoisin sauce, garlic, chilli, and sugar can be mixed with the sliced or cut eggplants in order to marinate the vegetable and to enrich the flavour. Grilling the eggplants with a bit of oil will make it even tastier (as it will not be dried).
- Vegan pad thai: Traditional pad thai is also a good option and well-preferred by vegetarians. If you are eating gluten-free, you may have it with rice noodles. Other than the noodles, main ingredients are garlic, onions (white and green), bok choy, bean sprouts, peanuts, cilantro, lime, and vegetable stock. Also, you may use white wine instead of the vegetable stock. If you want it to be a little sweet, sugar can be added.
- Tofu noodle soup: The key ingredient could be the lemongrass. This soup is also very nutritious. It can be considered especially when ill. Except for the lemongrass, wheat or rice noodles, ginger, tofu, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kaffir lime leaves, chillies, and fresh basil are the main ingredients. In order to make it creamy, coconut milk is also used.
- Yellow curry: If you do not have much time, all herbs and spices can be added to the curry pot directly. Yellow curry is mostly preferred eating with fried rice or coconut rice by vegetarians. The ingredients are known as coriander, turmeric, cumin, chickpeas, carrot, potato, pumpkin, coconut milk, vegetable stock, basil, and fresh lime juice. You can always add or remove the ingredients according to your taste. This is also a great option for a gluten-free or vegan diet.
If you are a vegetarian and planning to live in or visit Thailand, welcome to the food paradise! Yes, of course, it is still a food paradise if you do not eat meat products. But, if you do not consume any item that has meat or seafood ingredients, then you have to be careful and ask for the ingredients all the time because fish sauce, oyster sauce, and shrimp paste are used like as it is the staple ingredient of a dish. So watch out. Also, tofu is also used often and many restaurants give space on their menus for tofu-based dishes.
If you would like to read more about Thai cuisine, please click here.