If you are visiting Thailand for the first time or would like to order Thai food online, there are some must-have dishes that should not be missed;
1. Tom yum goong: This original Thai dish is a type of hot and sour soup. It is often cooked with prawn (goong). Beef, chicken or pork might be preferred as well. The broth of the soup is made with different types of herbs and spices which is called nam prik pao. Also; fish sauce, red chili peppers, lemongrass, lime juice, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves are used in order to enrich the flavor.
2. Gaeng keow wan gai: Is a chicken dish with the famous green curry. The meat can be replaced according to taste. Main ingredients are coconut milk, green curry paste, palm sugar, fish sauce, and Thai basil. This dish can also be served as plain or along with rice or roti.
3. Khao soi: A type of curried noodle soup with different varieties available. Mostly popular in Northern Thailand. Common versions are lao khao soi (soup made with pork, vegetables, and spices) and Northern Thai khao soi (a soup-like dish made with noodles and vegetables). The staple ingredient is definitely the coconut milk. Even though khao soi is not easy to find in other countries, it is very popular and commonly consumed among street eateries in Thailand.
4. Khao phat: Very popular and a must-have dish made from fried jasmine rice. It is often made with chicken, meat, crab, pork or shrimp. A vegetarian option can be made with coconut or pineapple.
5. Pad grapao moo sab kai dow: This dish could be the perfect combination of unrelated ingredients. The main ingredient, minced pork, is cooked with basil leaves, chili, garlic, oyster and soy sauce. The mixture is served along with a fried egg which is placed over rice.
6. Pad see ew: Is a dish based on stir-fried rice noodles that can be easily found at street eateries and restaurants. The key point of this recipe is cooking the rice noodles in a dark soy sauce. Secondary ingredients are broccoli, garlic, and eggs. It can be consumed as like this (especially for vegetarians) but also preferred with chicken, pork or shrimp. This dish is also popular among other Asian countries such as Singapore and Malaysia.
7. Som tam: This juicy and spicy green papaya salad has different common variations. It is made with pickled crab, dried shrimp or salted gourami fish. Other ingredients for the flavour are garlic, fish sauce, green beans, and lime juice. Sticky rice or rice noodles (khanom chin) is also served as a side dish.
8. Massaman curry: Is a meat-based curry dish which is influenced by Malay and Indian cuisines. Meat alternatives for this dish are chicken, beef, duck or tofu. It is cooked with coconut milk, palm sugar, fish sauce, onions, and potatoes, along with small ingredients like nuts (peanuts, cashews), bay leaves, cinnamon, and chillies. Also, rice might be served as a side dish at some restaurants.
9. Pad thai: This number one and must-have Thai dish is made from stir-fried rice noodles. It is cooked with fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, peanuts and served with an egg combined with chicken, shrimp or tofu. No one should leave the country without tasting it!
10. Pla pao: Is known as a typical grilled fish dish. To enrich the flavour, fish is first dipped into salt and stuffed with lemongrass. Rice and spicy Thai sauce are served along with the fish. It is definitely a healthy choice of meal.
If you would like to read more about Thai cuisine, please click here.